Friday, September 11, 2009

Bus Crash

Today wasn't quite the day I was expecting...it started with news that one of the school buses was involved in a crash which was more traumatic than I first realised. 
Felt very emotional & teary by the end of the day, but so grateful to God that no children were more seriously injured...it is pretty miraculous that they came out with mainly scrapes & bruises...
Today I saw our school at it's best: staff who had a day off arriving to try to help out, parents bringing in coffee, children comforting younger kids, people pulling together & planning how best to help the school community. 
Monday morning I will be sleeping in, but praying from here with Eric, as the morning briefing will involve trauma counsellors briefing the staff who will then try to help kids who might need to share what they've been through...
I'm relieved that I won't be working so hard next week but I really feel for those kids involved & the families of those killed. Kids from our school were OK, but what about that couple who died - did they have children, were they happy that morning, do their friends & families know they they were killed, what happened as the car started drifting across the road. 
As I sat in the staff room listening to the trauma counsellor speak to the staff my eyes welled up with tears thinking - this is what happened in 2007, only at that time the focus was on Leukaemia & how the kids would feel to hear that the Principal had cancer. Today it was another tragedy & reminder of this fallen world we all live in with all it's pain & suffering...
Bed time, cuppa time, rest time...
Glad it's the weekend...

No comments: