Monday, August 25, 2008

Another stroll down memory lane....

This is me getting my B.Mus.Ed - Bachelor of Music Education at New South Wales University. Cool hey! It was 1993 & boy I had a lot to learn! But I have to say I really loved teaching Music - LOVED IT. Once I'd found my feet a little more, knew what worked & what didn't, & knew myself a little better it was great.  I loved that "buzz" after a lesson went well & things flowed well. That awesome "together" feeling was just FANTASTIC. 

I enjoy teaching private piano students also, but there's nothing like being in a class where kids bounce ideas off each other. You can change a whole lesson & run with something from a student or follow a thought...it's really just incredible. I tried to be the sort of teacher that I respected in High School. I wasn't perfect but after a year or so I realised it was less about marks & administration, & all about relationships with students etc. Of course that sounds obvious, but I really grew to love so many of those kids & they were so supportive through all those hard times I went through with them. 

Anyway, I kind of like this shot. I feel grown up here. (These days I mostly wear tracky dacks & t-shirts so it's kinda cool to see me in 'professional' mode...) Hip Hip Hooray for teachers, they do an amazing job for not a huge amount of money & the hours...oh my GOODNESS, the hours I put in were mindblowing. The physical toll it took on my body was not always helpful. I worked for a short time in a state school & then worked in an independent Christian school for nearly 9 years. It was mostly a real joy. And to think I nearly didn't think about doing music. It was only that my piano teacher said "Have you thought about Music Education?" I didn't think I was good enough. She smiled & said "Of course you are, why don't you audition?" So I did...I actually had been planning to be a Librarian for the last 5 years when I did an about face & went into music...& if I hadn't I wouldn't have met David...sigh. It's almost one of those Sliding Doors situations, but of course I can't see what would have happened to me on "the other path". I can't imagine not marrying David. He has been such a rock for me through so much pain...I'm starting to ramble now aren't I? I should stop while this makes some sort of sense. mbf,dsgeotro;tuydgfjdsngkstuer;yuoy;s...zzzzz......

No comments: