Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Another memory...

Little me with the crooked part & the blue eyes just like mum's & the little smile. I think I was in Year 3, 3G in fact at Mortdale Public School. Lots of freckles, lots of innocence & that wonderful way that children have to just enjoy each day - not too worried about tomorrow. I can't remember much about being in 3G. D remembers thousands of facts about his childhood - all his classmates names, his teachers & other more trivial bits of information. Unfortunately my brain just removes things that won't be of use...I think there's only so much room in there & so much has been discarded. They say we only use about 10% of our brain...well unfortunately I think I use even less sometimes!!

Anyway, back to 3G. We had a lovely male teacher that year. Mr Gow. He showed us how to make popcorn - which I'd never seen before!! He taught us how to use paints to make a beautiful washed watercolour sky. I chipped one of my front teeth on a chair one day in his class. The cap has recently fallen off when one of my children accidentally headbutted me in the mouth. I remember feeling so happy about being able to wear sandals in the summer, but used to hate people treading on my feet. I know my mum did this tie for me & I have never learnt to tie them for myself! (D will have to teach my son!) I remember being in an upstairs room & having to climb the stairs every day...there now, I do remember a few things about being in Year 3. It's amazing to think that my daughter is nearly this age, nearly in that grade...it still shocks me some days to realise I have a daughter! She is not me yet she has my genes in her, she has the Barry eyes, dimples & a quiet thoughtfulness & gentleness to her that is so reflective of me at that age. She has a love of all things artistic...I wonder what her thoughts will be about life in the 00's. I remember a little of life in the 70's. (I think this photo was taken 1979!) So many things seem so lovely looking back. Part of me loves to be an adult, but part of me longs to be this child again...


I had to include her two school pictures. This is Bonnie Maree in her 1R photo & her KT photo, summer & then winter uniform. The next generation. This is my wonderful daughter, so fragile, so full of wonder, so curious & yet cautious at times, intelligent, loving, quiet, loud, faithful, everlearning, always hungry. I am so grateful for the chance to be her mum...YOU GO GIRL! Grow up into the strong woman I know you can be!!! Be stronger, go further than me, be yourself, dare...you are amazing darling & you are very VERY loved!!!

No comments: